A new piece of merchandise has been announced. IDW Games have announced
the first of a planned series of ATLA/Korra tabletop games, Legend of Korra Pro Bending Arena.
Here are the key facts presented so far
- Game Designed by Sen-Foong Lim (Akrotiri, The Godfather: A New Don) and Jessey Wright (Pocket Adventure)
- Game focuses on the rivalry between the Future Industries Fire Ferrets and The White Falls Wolfbats
- 2 players each take control of a team, draft card decks for their benders, and then play cards to place elemental tokens around the board in an effort to overwhelm their opponent.
- Game will initially launch via Kickstarter this Summer
- Retail release of the game this Fall
- MSRP is $49.99
- This is the first of a planned series of games.
This announcement does not excite me, at least so far. I feel this is a very poor initial announcement, from the super generic packaging to the uninspiring description of what the game actually is and especially the 50 dollar price tag to go with a disappointing initial description. I assume this is just placeholder packaging and the kickstarter campaign will reveal more details that will make the game look and sound much better, but for so many people this initial announcement will be all they see about this game and it has already lost their interest.
My other issue is purely the timing, this feels like a product that would have been great if it came out in 2012/2013 now it just feels like too little too late. I assume the aim to a degree is to potentially piggyback on the hype of Turf Wars, but tabletop games, especially this Pro Bending focused one seems very niche and I feel it may struggle to gain popularity.
I don't really play tabletop games myself, so it would take the cards and contents being super high quality with new art to get a purchase from me and judging by the art they chose for the box art I am doubting how much if any new art we will see.
So right now my interest level is low, but I am willing to give it a chance to showcase itself better.
What are your thoughts on this announcement?